Monday, September 25, 2017

So That is Star Trek Discovery...

Watched the pilot episode of Star Trek Discovery last night and was rather unimpressed, despite everyone else seeming to claim it to be great television. I'm not a die hard Trekkie, but I generally enjoy Trek. Yet I did not find anything enjoyable about Discovery.

I'm going to go through my thought process as I watched the show.

First scene we got the Klingons that are not really Klingons. They look nothing at all like Klingons, none of the tech feels like Klingon tech and while I am fairly sure their were speaking Klingon (I don't know the language) they spoke it far softer than every other time we've heard Klingon, even when humans have spoken it, so it didn't sound like Klingon. Everything about these creatures felt like a whole new species. Even the switch from the ST:TOS Klingons to what they became in the movies and into the future series felt more like they could be the same species, as they had a similar feel to them. These new branch of the species has nothing to give that similar feel. It is like saying that cats and lizards are the same species because they walk on four legs. You wouldn't believe such a claim.

Maybe the show will give a working explanation for this (I had already come up with one concerning this being a religious off branch that got caught up in a lot of inbreeding) , but I'm not that interested in watching any more to find out. I also doubt the reasoning will be believable.

If they want to use Klingons, then use Klingons.  If instead they wanted a new species, then go with a new species. It really is that simple.

Next scene we find ourselves watching Rey and friend in a cut scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. A boring cut scene where nothing interesting is happening, that turns out to actually be a scene stolen from Star Trek: Into Darkness, with  none of the humor or excitement, including having the starship enter a planet's atmosphere.

So already they have done nothing that has felt original, nothing that has drawn me in. The characters have been boring, the action has been boring and I am ready to turn it off. At this point the show had nothing to offer. Any other show that had such a start without the Star Trek name would most likely lose all its viewers.

And now they are repairing a satellite...

After a drawn out exploration scene we get a five second fight followed by a commercial break and an awkward time jump.

Oh, our main character was raised by Vulcans, with a close relationship to Spock's father. Some character development, which no other character gets at all in the least. Of course Vulcans are as illogical as ever by expecting humans to not have emotions, as if humans would not act like humans for some reason. This has always been one great flaw with any Vulcan. If they were as great as they wish to believe themselves to be, they would understand the usefulness of emotions. It is one aspect of Trek that was over used and old, which needs to be worked on for once, instead of reused.

Then we start getting the awkward camera angles and the lens flare that did not work in the Abram's movies and does not work here. At times it feel as if they took all the parts of the Abram's movies that did not work, and used them, while ignoring the aspects of those movies that made them enjoyable.

Finally we get to the first real conflict in the episode (with five minutes left) as our main character knows better than her captain, who refuses to listen because of Star Fleet regulations. This is followed by our main character assaulting her commanding officer and then attempting mutiny. So by any logic at all, our main character should be court-martialed in the next episode. We all know that won't happen, as this has been done so many time before in Trek and the character never faces real consequences and even gets promoted.

The first episode then ends with the Klingons getting reinforcements. It also ended with me saying 'that's it?' I do not really care about any of the characters, as most served as nothing more than background for out man character who I have no desire to follow.

Now I know there is a part two available online, but I'm not interested in checking it out. I doubt it will fix the problems I have with it.

Over all I saw nothing original in it. The story was just not there. No real drama or conflict to be found. No humor. I don't care about any of the characters, especially the main character, as none of them are interesting. I really believe that if not for the Star Trek link, this show would not be getting so much praise.

I felt like I had seen all of this before and done better.

In the end this is just CBS trying to get it streaming service started by using an established franchise. We'll see how that works out for them.

1 comment:

  1. what's funny about this is I was posting about "The Orville" today

    ReplyDelete