Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The Measure of Man in Death

Stan Lee has died. It was not a surprise or shocking death, as he was 95 and had been having health issues. Yet his death does hit hard those of us who were fans. When a person who has inspired us, entertained us, created something that we hold important in our lives dies, it is going to leave us at a loss of words, even if it is expected. And while I am one of those who feels that Lee's contribution is too often over hyped, (Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby were just as important in creating what became the Marvel Universe, but are not as well known) he very much became a known inspiring personality. 

Anyone who reads my blog knows how big a fan of Spider-Man I am, so having both creators die in less than half a year from each other (Steve Ditko passed in June) is somewhat surreal. You can look back to my posts about how Amazing Fantasy 15 changed the world of comic books and entertainment in general. With just that one creation the two of them created a legacy that is clearly going to outlive them and most likely inspire many generations to come.

Now that is a legacy worth leaving behind.

I find myself drawn to being emotional about anyone who creates such a legacy. The idea of inspiring anyone, let alone millions across multiple generations is such a huge thing, yet our society still has not gotten to the point of treating creative types in general with the respect they deserve. While Stan Lee is being talked about everywhere,  Steve Ditko seemed to be almost just a footnote, yet he played a huge part, equally really to Lee's, in creating Spider-Man and he is solely responsible for the creation of Dr. Strange. He just did not seek the publicity that Stan Lee received.

I remember Jim Henson's death as being another huge one for me and he is another who is the face of a creation that had many others involved in making it what it became. There is no doubt he was a powerful creative force, but we know there were others involved with making the Muppets what they are. The most famous of those is of course Frank Oz, who in so many ways was Jim's equal in their endeavors, but for whatever reason has not ever received the same level of recognition for his contribution.

I look at all those creative individuals who have come before me and left their impact on our world, opening the doors for new paths of creativity and inspiring so many with their works and I openly admit that I am jealous. Being a creative type myself, the idea of creating anything that someone find inspiring and triggers others to become creative because of something I did... I can only imagine how rewarding that would feel.

That is a worthy legacy to leave behind.

Stan Lee played a major role in shaping our present level of story telling and is not going to be soon forgotten for all he did. His legacy is clear and undeniable. Countless people have expressed what he and his creations have meant to them. I don't believe there is another comic book writer who is as well known and recognizable. He is a face that will forever be associated with the comic book industry, more than any other.

I know I am one who has been inspired by what he created, and his work is something that will be part of my creative endeavors for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment