Thursday, January 16, 2020

There Are No Words to Describe that Level of Bad

Just watched the first two-part adventure of the new Thundercats Roar... I seriously am unable to describe just how awful it is. From horrible dialogue, complete lack of plot, insanely stupid fight scenes and nothing in the way of  actual characters. It is pure crap with no real entertainment value to it.

I think it is supposed to be humorous, but there is not a single joke that is funny in it. The writers clearly believe they are being witty and clever with some of the self aware jokes, but it all falls flat with every scene.

When I saw a clip for it some time ago, I predicted it was going to be bad, but I was truly not ready for the awful, unamusing mess they put out there. It really lacked any spark of quality. I do not see this attracting anyone to the shows.

Old fans like me are going to check it out and find it lacking. Potential new fans are going to see it and be puzzled by how it ever got made. There might be those out there who will enjoy it (I've seen a lot of bad shows and movies get a following), but my money is on that not being a large crowd.

I am not a purist and can accept new takes on things I am a fan of.  The 2011 Thundercats show was brilliantly done and was a fully new take on the franchise, with a lot of changes that didn't upset me. Here we have them trying to go back and follow the original story, but in the dumbest way possible, that ends up being insulting.

We know that reboots of these old shows can be done well and done right. We've seen it.

I understand that they have two new Masters of the Universe shows in development for Netflix. The first is supposed to be continuing the original cartoon, being produced by Kevin Smith.  This is not a reboot from what I understand, but a continuation. I an interested in seeing what they are putting together and have faith it might be watching.  The second is going to be reboot, which I hope is a good as the Voltron reboot was.

The fact that Thundercats Roar is as bad as it is says a lot about what some companies are willing to put out just because there is a established fanbase out there. Something this poorly made would never attract the needed audience to make it.

It really sticks out that something I had already had low expectations of it going in, is actually noticeably worse than I was expecting. That is the best summery of my feeling for Thundercats Roar.


1 comment: