Friday, January 27, 2023

The Benefits of Organizing Comic Books

 It has been a little while since my last post.

Lot's been going on in life.

Today I just want to talk about how my comic book collection actually serves as a great therapeutic outlet for me.  I actually find it very relaxing to bag up and organize my comics. There is something rewarding for me to get them grouped together in an organized manner, even if it is a system that others might be confused over.

I have been collecting comics for over three decades now and easily have over 10,000 unique issues in my collection. Most of them are Marvel comics. And as anyone who collects knows, most of them are not really worth much. That being said, I do have a good deal of key issues that are highly sought after. As I don't collect for value, that is information I know of but am not highly concerned about.

It is interesting to look at such a collection and see what all is there. I have some random stuff from the silver age of comics that I am not too sure where I got them from. Somehow I have at times it seems I have just acquired these comics at random and I find that amusing for some reason.

Right now when I have the funds, I find myself going after 60s, 70s and 80s Marvel comics (I have just about everything they put out in the 90s it seems), mostly Spider-man as he has always been my number 1 hero. But I do find myself drawn to most anything Marvel. The 80s Doctor Strange comics has some great cover art that attracts me them.

I have a google doc with a list of the series I wish to focus on in my collecting. I had to, once I caught myself accidently picking up an old comic I already had. I get a lot of use out of that list and have been adding to it a lot lately as I expand the series I want to work on. I already know most of those series will never be completed, as I doubt I will ever be able to afford to complete the run of Amazing Spider-Man, I am content knowing that I have at this time around 700 of the over 900 issues in that series and I keep adding to it as I can. While there are a few series I should be able to complete sooner or later depending on how aggressive I can afford to be, there will always be the handful that are just not going to happen.

While I need to get some space cleared out to really go through all the boxes of comics I have and get them full organized, I find what I am able to do to relax me greatly. Just the act of bagging them up and grouping them together has a sense of being productive that feels great. There are still boxes of comics that I have had for some time that are not as organized as they need to be because of my slacking in year past, I do every so often make some progress in them. Most of my work is newer pieces coming into my collection and rearranging boxes to keep connected series together.

I will keep working away at getting it all organized and hopefully in the near future make the space to really be able to go through them and really see just what I have. Comics are probably my largest collection in terms of actual pieces, but they do not take up as much room as some of my other collections and are harder to display, but I still take a lot of joy in accumulating them.

I am a proud collector and most likely will be for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment