Wednesday, April 5, 2023

The Most Magical Place Just Outside of Denver

 Here in the Denver Metro area, there are a lot of people awaiting the reopening of one of the most unique and memorable restaurants you can experience.

Casa Bonita.


It closed up due to COVID and had a great deal of issues reopening, until the South Park guys bought it and invested in fixing it up. Last time I was there was for a free tour that they were doing regularly while trying to work out the details to open it for business.

It really is hard to describe Casa Bonita in any manner that would give a person the real feel of the place, but I will give it a try. It is an old Mexican village with all manner of areas to explore, which fully feels like you are in a different world from the strip small off a major street that you entered by. There is a massive waterfall cascading into a clear pool in the middle of it all, with divers regularly taking plunges into it as silly skits get performed on the small stage, with them normally ending with at least one person ending up in the pool. There is a puppet plaza with animated rocks that talk. A theater with a stage for magic shows and such. You can explore an outlaw's secret cavern, where you will get eaten by a dragon. You can be seated in caverns or the mines or behind the waterfall. Don't forget to throw a coin into the wishing well and listen to the creature in the well.

And I know I've missed some stuff there.

Casa Bonita is an experience.

I've been going since we moved out here in 1980, and most likely have been around 200 times, give or take.

As a child I loved it and had my birthday there twice. We took all my cousins there and family from out of town. Once I had kids of my own, we of course took them. My oldest boy's first trip there was when he was five days old, as we took my cousin there for his tenth birthday. And both of my boys have celebrated their birthday there, but didn't get the T-shirts to commemorate it, which I swear I still have my two (Long since outgrown) that say 'I Celebrated My Happy Birthday at Casa Bonita', in boxes somewhere in the storage room.

Gonna talk about the food here briefly.

A lot of people really are critical about it. And yes, it was a step-up from cafeteria food for the most part, with a few better options. I always enjoyed it, as it was edible, and I found it filling. With the reopening however, this should not be an issue, as they have invested highly in getting a new menu together and making sure to move beyond the old reputation.

Of course no one ever went there for the food.

I have never heard anyone complain about the sopapillas, which were the free dessert. There were fresh and hot and so good with honey. It would be a huge mistake to change them.

In my Georgie and Armand's Place stories I have the Bonita Lobby, for a subterranean wing of The Hotel which is connected by a sparkling lagoon of water fed by a waterfall to the Aquarian Casa lobby, for an underwater wing. You will find many such homages in those stories, some more hidden than others. That is one that those not familiar with the restaurant will not see, but I hoped that those who know would be amused. Even the head of the Bonita Lobby, Novick, has a connection to the restaurant.

Casa Bonita is the kind of place that has inspired many of us who grew up here in the Denver Metro area. Its pink tower, which has been repainted and is brighter than ever, is a true landmark, breaking up the monotony of the area. Just go across the parking lot to the Next Gallery that regularly features Casa Bonita inspired art to see just how much it means to so many of us.

It is supposed to reopen at some point in May and chances are it will have huge lines, with hour long waits to get in. But the people will be there as there are so many of us ready to see experience all the new as well as embrace all of what made Casa Bonita such an incredible experience for us. I am also looking forward to the idea of being able to take the next generation of my family there once they come along and see them get filled with the wonder and excitement of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment