Friday, January 24, 2014

Doing the Costume Thing

One thing I have really enjoyed doing with my boys is helping them put together their costumes.

This year we are doing the Fifth Doctor and Frodo. We'll most likely get the costumes together next month and hopefully have them finished for the various conventions.

In the past we have done The Fourth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, a Delak, A cyberman, Prince Zuko from The Last Airbender, Indiana Jones, Dr. Horrible and Capt. Hammer, Anakin Skywalker from Episode 3, Han Solo, Optimus Prime, Megatron and I think there were a few others I cannot remember.


The 11th Doctor and a Dalek

 A Cyberman Vs the 4th Doctor


 Megatron vs. Optimus Prime

Capt. Hammer and Dr. Horrible
With the actual Penny (Felica Day)

As a family we have some basic steampunk costumes that we wear to Anomalycon, a local steampunk convention. I also have a generic Jedi Knight costume I have worn from time to time.

At Devenation 3 (The World Science Fiction convection here in Denver) a few years back both boys wore a different costume each day. They also did this for the first Denver Comic Con.

So there is no doubt that my boys have gotten into costuming and get excited over it. In fact we have had to tell my youngest that he couldn't go out in costume several times.

We've been developing our skills and have found that the costumes have gotten better, even when we throw them together in a night, as what happened with the Dr. Horrible and Capt. hammer costumes, although after the first time out with them we had the chance to work on them some more.

I look forwards to seeing what we come up with in the future. My boys are creative and we really do enjoy working on the costumes and seeing what we can come up with. I think spending time working on creative endeavors is about the best way to spend time as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment